Thursday, September 21, 2017

News You Can Use: Are You Tired of the Ads Following You Around As You Move About the Internet?

Not much you can do about it unless you are continually clearing caches but you can influence the ads you see.
Back in 2014 we posted "A Look at the World's First Water-focused Hedge Fund" which, while only containing a passing reference to grit chambers in the introduction:
Since the first Earth Day in April 1970 and more importantly since the establishment of the EPA in December of that year, folks have been trying to make money out of water in the U.S..
Put simply, the returns have not been market-beating.

Because so much of the opportunity was my-little-crony stuff, at the whim of politicians, there was no consistency of growth at a time when other portfolio investments offered very competitive comparisons.
The alternative was to own the cash flow, private equity style, but unless one felt a passion for grit chambers and sludge pans it was pretty pedestrian, utility type ROI....
required I do a quick GOOG search for the largest manufacturer of same.

After an hour of grit chamber ads I asked Siva, a streetwise Hindu boy (Caltech EE) what to do to get rid of them, short of clearing history and cookies and everything, and he said: "Go to one of those artsy-fartsy sites you always visit."

As I started to ask "How do you know what sites I visit?" he disappeared.

I was reminded of this because, after doing the Uber post (below) the computer I was on kept trying to entice me into driving for Uber and I thought: "Hey, what's going on at Sothey's?"

So, after getting to this page,
Yeats: The Family Collection
| | London
There are pretty pictures popping up on every third site visited on that computer.
And Uber still needs drivers.